2 Wheels + 1 Motor

2 Wheels + 1 Motor: What Insurance Do You Need?

What Insurance Do You Need?

With spring and milder weather just around the corner, we’ll soon be pulling out our 2-wheelers for convenience, pleasure and economy. Whatever your reason for riding, you’ll need proper protection and we can help. Although the State of Rhode Island does not require riders of mopeds or scooters to have a motorcycle license, each vehicle must be registered with the DMV, which requires proof of insurance. Below are 7 importance coverage options to consider for your motorized “ride.”

Moped, Scooter or Motorcycle: What’s the Dif?

MOPED: any two-wheeled vehicle, with or without pedals, and an engine that is 50cc or smaller

SCOOTER: a two-wheeled vehicle with an engine size between 50cc – 250cc

MOTORCYCLE: engines range from 150cc to 2,500cc and higher

  1. Liability. If you cause an accident resulting in injuries or property damages, liability coverage protects you by paying for damages you may become legally responsible for as a result of a covered accident. This includes paying for an injured party’s medical bills and loss of income, and/or repairs to another person’s vehicle or property – up to your coverage limit. It can also provide for your legal defense if a suit is brought against you as a result of the accident. Liability also includes coverage for guest passengers.
  2. Medical payments. Can pay medical expenses or funeral costs, up to your coverage limit, for you, your family household members and your passengers due to accidental bodily injury while occupying your recreational vehicle, no matter who is at fault. It may also provide coverage to you and your household family members when injured by a vehicle as a pedestrian.
  3. Collision. Regardless of who is at fault, collision can pay for damage to your vehicle if you hit another vehicle or object, another vehicle hits you, or your vehicle rolls over. Collision includes coverage for safety apparel, such as helmets or clothing specifically designed to reduce injury from an accident. You’re responsible for paying the deductible at the time of the claim.
  4. Comprehensive. Comprehensive coverage can help pay for damage to your vehicle from vandalism, theft, weather events and accidents involving animals. You’re responsible for paying the deductible at the time of the claim.
  5. Uninsured or underinsured motorists. If you are in an accident caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver, this coverage reimburses you for medical expenses, loss of income and other damages owed to you by a motorist who does not have any – or does not have enough – applicable liability insurance.
  6. OEM endorsement. Specifies that parts from your vehicle’s manufacturer – Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) parts – are used, when available, to repair your vehicle after a Collision or Comprehensive claim.
  7. Roadside Assistance. Roadside Assistance provides 24/7 emergency help if you need fuel delivery, a tire change, jumpstart or tow.

Contact us at 401-846-9629; let’s work together to protect you and your “ride.”

We’re Here To Help!

© Content Courtesy: Nationwide® 2018
%d bloggers like this: