Covered for Nor’easter Damage?

Home with wind damage and uprooted tree

GOOD NEWS: The Answer is Likely Yes!

March’s multiple Nor’easters punished our homes, yards, and cars with high winds, snow, ice and rain. The aftermath of these storms left many of us facing fallen trees, branches, stripped shingles, fender-benders and more. The good news is that most extreme weather damage (with the exception of flooding) is covered by your standard homeowners and automobile insurance policies.

Homeowners Policies

  • Wind-related damage to a house, its roof, its contents and other insured structures on the property. Also, wind-driven snow or freezing rain that gets into the home because the home was damaged by wind.
  • Tree limbs that fall on a house or other insured structure on the property—this includes both the damage the tree inflicts on the house, and the cost of removing the tree, generally up to about $500.
  • Roof with wind damage, missing shingles.Damage from ice and other objects that fall on the home.
  • Damage to the house and its contents caused by the weight of snow or ice that creates a collapse is covered.
  • Freezing conditions such as burst pipes or ice dams, or a condition where water is unable to drain properly through the gutters and seeps into a house causing damage to ceilings and walls. However, there is generally a requirement that the homeowner has taken reasonable steps to prevent these losses by keeping the house warm and properly maintaining the pipes and drains.
  • Additional living expenses (ALE)—in the event that a home is severely damaged by an insured disaster. This would pay for reasonable expenses incurred by living elsewhere while the home is being fixed.
  • Damage caused by flooding is not covered by standard homeowners or renters insurance policies. Melting snow that seeps into a home from the ground up would be covered by flood insurance

Auto Policies

    • Winter fender-benderVehicle crashes between two or more drivers caused by snowy and slippery roads are covered by liability insurance, which is required by most states. A car that crashes into an object would generally be covered under the optional collision portion of an auto policy.
    • Physical damage to a vehicle caused by heavy wind, flooding, falling ice or tree limbs is covered under the optional comprehensive portion of an auto policy.
Source: Insurance Information Institute (I.I.I.) ©2018


Call us at 401-846-9629 with any questions about your coverage or claim.

Season After Season… Year After Year… We’re Always Here To Help!

Dwyer Insurance Best of Newport County 2008 and 2011-2018
Dwyer Insurance has been voted Best of Newport County by readers of Newport Life Magazine 9 times!
%d bloggers like this: