Much has been said and written about the importance of “Shopping Small” but it bears repeating… supporting local businesses benefits our Community. The information below, sourced from the U.S. Small Business Association and U.S. Department of Labor, quantifies the numerous positive impacts of Shopping Like A Local.
- Significantly more money stays in a community when purchases are made at locally owned – rather than nationally owned – businesses.
- For every $100 you spend at local businesses, $68 will stay in the community.
- Independent retailers return more than three times as much money per dollar of sales to the community in which they operate than chain competitors.
- Independent restaurants return more than two times as much money per dollar of sales than national restaurant chains.
- Small businesses employ 77 million Americans and accounted for 65% of all new jobs over the past 17 years.
In addition to helping build the local economy, there are also notable intangible benefits that come from supporting businesses in your local community.
- Local businesses are owned and operated by your neighbors! They care about and are invested in the well-being of your community and its future.
- Local businesses are more accountable to their local communities and donate more money to non-profits.
- Supporting local businesses is good for the environment because they often have a smaller carbon footprint than larger companies.
- Local businesses are more likely to utilize other local businesses such as banks, service providers, and farms.
It isn’t always the easiest or most convenient option to visit a local independent business rather than a large national chain or online retailer, especially on Black Friday and/or Cyber Monday, but you can offset your big box bargains…
- Try a local restaurant for lunch or dinner
- Gift unique, Island-made items
- Join a local gym
- Shop at farmer’s markets
As you consider your holiday shopping list, seek out local businesses to see what they have to offer. You will discover some great products and services while helping to build a strong and successful community around you!