When you’re behind the wheel of a car – whether alone or with passengers – driving safely should always be your top concern. We’re more distracted than ever, so it’s crucial to know the basics of safe driving and practice them every time you’re on the road.
1. FOCUS ON DRIVING:
• Keep 100% of your attention on driving at all times – no multi-tasking.
• Don’t use your phone or any other electronic device while driving
• Slow down. Speeding gives you less time to react and increases the severity of an accident.
2. DRIVE DEFENSIVELY:
• Be aware of what other drivers around you are doing, and expect the unexpected.
• Assume other motorists will do something crazy, and always be prepared to avoid it.
• Keep a 2-second cushion between you and the car in front of you.
• Make that 4 seconds if the weather is bad.
3. MAKE A SAFE DRIVING PLAN:
• Build time into your trip schedule to stop for food, rest breaks, phone calls or other business.
• Adjust your seat, mirrors and climate controls before putting the car in gear.
• Pull over to eat or drink. It takes only a few minutes.
4. PRACTICE SAFETY:
• Secure cargo that may move around while the vehicle is in motion.
• Don’t attempt to retrieve items that fall to the floor.
• Have items needed within easy reach – such as toll fees, toll cards and garage passes.
• Always wear your seat belt and drive sober and drug-free.
+4 MORE DRIVING SAFETY TIPS:
• Don’t allow children to fight or climb around in your car – they should be buckled in their seats at all times. Too much noise can easily distract you from focus on the road.
• Avoid driving when you’re tired. Be aware that some medications cause drowsiness and make operating a vehicle very dangerous.
• Always use caution when changing lanes. Cutting in front of someone, changing lanes too fast or not using your signals may cause an accident or upset other drivers.
• Be extra careful while driving during deer season.
Stay tuned for part 2 of our SAFE DRIVER SERIES next month with steps to take if you are in an accident or hit and run.
SAFE DRIVERS are often eligible for premium discounts…
Call us a call at 401-846-9629 for a FREE Auto Policy Review; We’re Always Here to Help!
Content: ©2020 Nationwide®